The Diocesan Buildings Committee normally meets monthly, to consider matters associated with churches, ancilliary buildings and rectories around the diocese. Its membership includes diocesan clergy, buildings experts and members of architectural practices.
Canon 35 – Apply for permission to make changes to church buildings. Look at the guidance document to see what is covered by this Canon, to help you assess whether your project or scheme requires the consent of the Diocesan Buildings Committee and The Bishop. The flowchart will help you to understand the process, but do contact the Diocesan Office if you are unsure about any part of this.
- Application form (PDF version) – click here
- Application form (Word version) – click here
- Canon 35 Guidance – click here
- Canon 35 Process Flowchart – click here
Fire Regulations – Advice papers on precautions to be taken by vestries, in clergy housing.
Quinquennial Reports – A full condition report on the fabric of churches, halls and rectories is required every five years, under Canon 60. The Diocesan Office keeps a list of when each report is due, but it is the responsibility of each vestry to commission the reports.
- Pro-forma Churches Report Summary for architects (PDF version) – click here
- Pro-forma Churches Report Summary for architects (Word version) – click here
- Pro-forma Residential properties Report Summary for architects (PDF version) – click here
- Pro-forma Residential properties Report Summary for architects (Word version) – click here
St Andrews Fund – When the church building at St Andrew’s Prestonpans was sold in 2015, the sale proceeds were used to setup this Fund. It seeks to help churches with limited resources, to pay for urgent/emergency building works. At present, individual grants are limited to £1,000.
- Grant Application Form (PDF version) – click here
- Grant Application Form (Word version) – click here
- Provincial website – buildings information – click here
Back to Resources page