These are seasonal resources. If you are looking for general Coronavirus advice and resources for churches, click here.
Advent & Christmas 2020
How can churches ‘do’ Christmas with children and families during a pandemic? This question is raised by my infographic, A Covid Christmas? Below are the four areas I’ve highlighted: over the coming weeks, you will find fresh ideas gathered under each heading. My aim is to review and cherry-pick as many of the emerging Advent and Christmas resources as possible, and present them here for ease of reference. So whether your church doesn’t know where to start, or you have more ideas than you know what to do with, or you’re just wondering what might be possible this year, read on.
For the full infographic featuring pros and cons of Christmas services on Zoom, Facebook and more, click here.
If you would like to talk through your plans, or seek advice on safeguarding and risk assessments, please get in touch with me. If you have a great idea to add to this page, let me know! Contact: email@example.com
Zoom ideas, videos, slideshow material and more
- Create an online Advent Calendar
- Hold a Zoom Carol Singalong
- Hold a Crib Service on Zoom: full script and resources here
- Film your own version of The Lockdown Nativity (all-new script available on request)
- There’s a wealth of lectionary-based all-age Advent and Christmas resources in Spill the Beans
- Retell the Christmas story as a slideshow of photos taken in your local area, or with Playmobil (set of photographs lovingly created by a curate available on request). Screen-share on Zoom as part of a Christmas service online
- Share an age-appropriate video of the Christmas story, such as the CBeebies Nativity Story or these more challenging spoken word poetry videos for teenagers about the ‘Mess’ of Christmas or the Son of God to whom government shall be given
- Leaders pre-record Nativity scenes with their own children and hold a Christmas Eve Service on Zoom. Encourage dressing-up!
Ways to share the Christmas message with your local community
- A trail for children to follow: Nativity scenes in windows, or Nativity Story stones hidden in the local area
- Follow the Star: a trail to find the Christmas stars in local windows (like the NHS rainbows)
- Lessons and Carols Community Walk – one of many great ideas in the Spill the Beans resource (p7)
- Baby Jesus Rocks! These were a big hit in Dunbar in 2018: contact St Anne’s Dunbar for details
- Knitted Angels – many churches in the diocese have enjoyed taking part in this project, including St Mark’s Portobello
- Go outside! Check out Wild Advent for brilliant faith-based outdoor activities
Faith at Home
Christmas resources for families to use at home
Fill party bags with tempting resources. Share them safely in your town centre and deliver them to your church families. Bags could include:
- Advent Prayer Bags
- 25 Ways To be Thankful in Advent – a free downloadable calendar
- Prayer stars – to write on and add to the family Christmas tree
- At-home Christingles – enclose a flyer with details of a pre-recorded, open-access service OR set a time when everyone will stand outside their own front door, light their Christingle and sing a carol
The Personal Touch
Ideas for practical outreach and tangible gifts